Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Painting Squirrels

So I don't always quilt. Sometimes I do other stuff, too. Like paint.

Last year, I decided to paint a squirrel for my dad (a gift for his birthday). It is an abstract squirrel.


 Wait. That's not it, that's just how it started.


That's it.

I watched half of the first season of "Bates Motel" while painting this squirrel on a lovely, rainy afternoon. The squirrel is on our family crest (if we had one). My dad rather enjoyed the painting, I think. My husband liked it so much he wanted one, too. Except he wanted a brown squirrel with a camo background. I love the guy, so I obliged.




Initially, I was hesitant to paint camo. But it turned out well. This squirrel is almost more of a cartoon squirrel, the brush strokes making him more rounded. I also had to trial-and-error the painting of camo. I painted it while watching the last half of the first season of "Bates Motel." 

The camo squirrel now hangs in our office space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment