Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Scrappin' Log Cabin-Style

My mother brought me a bag of scraps during my time working at an isolated park (in rural, south Georgia... in a cabin). She mentioned I might have time (since I had no cable nor internet connection) to iron some of the pieces out and "do something" with them. She was correct. I had time.

So I ironed and cut. I did not have a sewing machine, so I just laid the blocks out. On the kitchen floor.

Kitchen floors *can* serve as a work space.
Log cabin-esque seemed appropriate, as it could accommodate various sizes AND I was living in a cabin (although, it was not made of logs). I stacked them neatly in a box for when I had a chance to use a sewing machine. (I cut out enough for two quilts... incidentally, I still have a box of scraps in my closet). That chance was at my mom's house a few weeks ago. So I headed up to Cumberland City with my box-o-scraps.

A table, mat, and ironing board prove better work surfaces than kitchen floors.
I pieced the blocks together as I had originally intended, then laid them out into rows (the blocks varied in size, so I laid blocks into rows with similarly-sized blocks). I pieced together the rows, then cut the edges so they could lay together.

TA DA!

The finished product!
It came together quite nicely, if I say so myself. I chose to quilt it with an all-over larger stipple, as I did not want to take away from the funky of the scrapness. So now I have a scrappy, log cabin quilt (that was born in a cabin). I have more pictures over at the Cumberland Quilting Co.'s Etsy page, if you want to take a peek.

No comments:

Post a Comment